Monday, July 18, 2011

Our engagement story

I just realized some of you may not know how Steve proposed. Here's the story :)

It was October 20th, 2010 and we were leaving for Puerto Rico the next day. Steve was teaching a seminar there and we were adding on a few extra days for vacation. If there's one thing I can tell you about me, it's that everytime I travel my suitcase always weighs 49.5 pounds. It never fails. So, in order to avoid me being over the limit, Steve suggested I give him some of my stuff for his bag. Brilliant idea! Except when that day actually came around and I was stressed beyond belief, I wasn't so into it anymore.

So, here's what happened. I had just received a promotion at work and was swamped. I literally had stress leaking out my ears. It was awful, and in no way was I prepared to leave the office for a week to go on vacation. I will call this mood inhibitor #1. Next...my cell phone died. Like, dead. Couldn't even turn it on to retrieve numbers. I didn't even have Steve's number...cause I just push the button labeled "Steve" and it dials his number. Who memorizes numbers anymore? Let's call this mood inhibitor #2.

After a very long day at work, I head to the store to get a new cell phone. An hour-and-a-half later I leave the store with a new phone (that I have no idea how to use) and no numbers except for like 5 that somehow I managed to save to my SIM card. Mood inhibitor #3. Steve calls me on my way home from the cell phone store...it's now like 6:30...and starts asking me when I'm going to come over and bring my stuff for him to pack. Really? I don't have time to bring stuff over! I'm tired. I haven't packed anything. I need to eat dinner and take a shower. And I really wanted to be in bed by 9PM because we have to leave for the airport at like 5 the next morning, which means I have to be up at 4. Seriously, I don't have time to come over! Can't you just come to me and pick it up? The answer....no. No? No!? Mood inhibitor #4. Long deep breaths. Ok, I'll be there when I can. Click.

Fastforward to about 8:45PM. The phone rings. It's Steve. Are you coming over? I think fumes started coming out of my head. So. much. stress. Yes, I'm freakin' leaving now!

9PM. I arrive at Steve's. Me - recently showered. Messed up post-shower hair (was it even dry?). No makeup. Pajamas. Steve - pretty much the same. I come in the house and throw my stuff on the table. Here you go. I'll see you tomorrow. Steve - Don't you want to sit down a minute? Me - You have two minutes. Steve - Ok, I have to go the bathroom. I'll be right back. Me (in my head) - I told you that you have two minutes and you're spending half of it in the bathroom??! Fumes, fumes and more fumes.

Shortly after 9. Steve - I have something for you. Me - What is it? (I'm thinking in my head, oh gosh, now what) Steve places box on knee. Open it, he says. Me - What is it? (Smiling on the inside) Steve - Just open it. Me - Opens it. Sees ring. Smiles and stares. Continues staring. Waiting. Waiting some more (is he ever going to ask??). Me - Can I have it? Steve - Yeah. Me - Ummm....well, are you going to ask me? Steve - asks. Me - IN A GOOD MOOD!!! Me - Ok, I have to go home now. See you tomorrow. (We're so romantic, aren't we?)

So, that's the story. We went to Puerto Rico the next day and started wedding planning on the trip. We called it our Engagement-Moon :) We can't wait for October 8th for the rest of our story to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment